- City Projects
- Public Works Projects
- Completed Projects
- 173rd ST NE Phase 1
173rd ST NE Phase 1
The City of Arlington will be constructing the first phase of a new two-lane road, 173rd St NE. While the planned 173rd St alignment will eventually extend between Smokey Point Blvd and Airport Blvd, this first phase will extend from Smokey Point Blvd to 40th Ave.
This roadway will include a 12-foot wide multi-use path, street lighting, landscaping, low-impact drainage and a privacy and sound fence along the north side of the roadway.
- Improve access
- Alleviate congestion on 172nd
- Increase Pedestrian Safety
- Boost vehicle safety
Project Cost and Funding
- Engineer’s Estimate: $2,351,700.00
- Funding source: Transportation Improvement Funds
- Design 2020/2021
- Estimated bid time: spring 2021
- Construction: fall 2021
Coordination with Local Residents
Regular schedule updates will be provided by the City to keep local businesses and community apprised of the project progress and any potential impacts.
If you have questions or concerns on this project, please contact the City Project Hotline at 360-403-3544 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project Conceptual Plan
- Fence Alternative Memo
- Open House Presentation
- Preliminary Bid Tab
- Certified Bid Tab
To translate documents, download the document then click the link: https://translate.google.com/
- May 05, 2020: Perteet Consultants selected for design
- October 15, 2020 - An online Open House will be held at 6pm. Please email email@example.com to be added to the invite list if you would like to attend.
- April 8, 2021 - Out to Bid
- May 17 - Project awarded to Reece Construction Company
- September 17 - The construction of 173rd St Phase 1, a new 2-lane roadway from Smokey Point Blvd to 40th Ave NE, is scheduled to begin at the end of September. The project will include a 12-foot wide multi-use trail to the south, street and trail lighting, landscaping, and a sound barrier fence along the north side of the road. Construction of the roadway is estimated to be complete in late spring to early summer of 2022.
- October 1 - Mobilization will begin on the 173rd Street Phase 1 project on Monday, October 4th. Reece Construction is scheduled to begin the project with the demolition of the curb ramps and construction entrance on Smokey Point Blvd, and clearing of the project area. Construction will be Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. There should be minimal disruption to traffic; however, you may experience some delays in travel times.
- October 8 - This week, the City’s contractor, Reece Construction, started work on the 173rd St Phase 1 project with the excavation and clearing of the new roadway area. Next week, work will continue with road excavation and clearing, and prepping/starting installation of potable water infrastructure. The work will take place Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
- October 15 - This week Reece Construction continued work on the 173rd St Phase 1 project with installation of silt construction fencing along the project area, ground clearing, and installation of a new water main. Next week, work on 173rd St Phase 1 will include water system testing and flushing, water tie-ins, , and delivery of the new bio-pod stormwater system.
- October 22 - This past week on the 173rd St Phase 1 project the waterline installation was finished and the waterlines flushed, the new stormwater bio-pods were delivered and placed. Next week, Reece Construction will begin the excavation for the roadway.
- October 29 - This week Reece Construction finished the water ties in along the soon to be 173rd St. Due to material delays, the stormwater work has been delayed for the remainder of the week. Next week, the contractor is scheduled to continue work on the storm system and road grading depending on material availability.
- November 5 - This past week Reece Construction continued work grading the road and brought in the initial road base. Next week, they are scheduled to continue work on the installation of the stormwater system.
- November 12 - Construction is progressing on the 173rd Street Phase 1 project. This past week, Reece Construction brought in and laid the subgrade for the roadway, and Cascade Natural Gas started to relocate its two-inch gas line. This work is estimated to be complete on November 19. Over the next couple of weeks, Reece Construction will be working on the stormwater system, electrical trenching, and begin to grade for the 12-foot wide trail along the south of the project area.
- November 19 - This past week Cascade Natural Gas worked on relocating their gas line along 173rd St. Next week Reece Construction will continue work on the stormwater system along 173rd St, and begin the electrical trenching along Smokey Point Blvd between 174th St to 173rd St. Please expect some travel delays in this area between the hours of 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM.
- November 24 - This past week Reece Construction’s sub-contractor Totem Electric began work on the electrical trenching along Smokey Point Blvd from the project site to 174th Pl NE, while Reece continued work on the stormwater drainage system. Next week Reece will continue to work on the stormwater drainage system.
- December 3 - This past week Reece Construction continued work on the stormwater infiltration system and electrical. Next week Reece will begin work on the sidewalk/trail grading and continue the electrical work.
- December 7 - Starting today, the sidewalk on the east side of Smokey Point Blvd north of 172nd St to 174th Pl will be closed. Please use the detour on the west side of Smokey Point Blvd at 172nd St to 174th St. Business access along the east side of Smokey Point Blvd is open.
- December 10 - This past week Reece Construction and their sub-contractor, Totem Electric finished the electrical for the light pole bases and the subgrade for the sidewalk/trail, curb, and roadway. Next week Reece is scheduled to install the base course and top course for the roadway.
- December 15 - Tomorrow the City of Marysville will be working on Smokey Point Blvd at the 173rd St Intersection going north bound to move a fire hydrant and a water service, and replacing man hole covers going south bound at 174th Pl NE. Please expect some delays when traveling on Smokey Point Blvd north of 172nd St.
- December 17 - This past week Reece Construction installed the subgrade for the sidewalk, curb, and roadway, and began to install the base course. For the next two weeks, working days will be from Monday through Thursday. Next week Reece will finish the installation of the base course, begin to install the concrete for the curbs, driveways, and ADA ramps, and backfill on the north side for the new fence. The following week Reece is scheduled to continue the concrete work for the curb, driveways, and ADA ramps, and work on the electrical for the light pole bases. All concrete work is weather dependent.
- January 7, 2022 - This next week Reece Construction is scheduled to continue work the concrete work for the curbs, ADA ramps and the driveway entrances on the south side of the street, backfill, and begin to set the fence posts for the Trex privacy fence.
- January 18, 2022 - This week work will continue on the 173rd St Phase 1 project with the installation of the light pole bases, Trex privacy fence installation, grading, and concrete work along the south side of the project area. All concrete work is dependent on the weather.
- January 24, 2022 - Last week Reece completed the grading of the roadway and trail, and the installation of the light pole bases. This week the fence installation will continue and they will begin to bring in the top soil along the north side of the property. Reece plans to start paving on Tuesday, but this work is dependent on the weather and outside temperature.
- February 1, 2022 - Last week Reece continued work on the fence installation and paved the roadway. This week work will continue on the the fence installation, the grading of the trail and they will be bringing in top soil along the north side of the project.
- February 4, 2022 - Construction on the 173rd St Phase 1 project has continued as scheduled. Over the last few weeks, Reece Construction has completed the curb and gutter on both sides of the roadway, graded and paved the roadway, installed the Trex Privacy fence along the north side of the project, and has been bringing in the top soil for the landscaping. Over the next few weeks, work will continue with the grading and paving of the trail, landscaping and the installation of the light poles.
- February 14,2022 - Last week Reece Construction completed paving of the trail and striped the roadway. This week Reece will continue work on the landscaping.
- February 25, 2022 - This past week work on the 173rd St Phase 1 project continued with installation of the street and trail light poles, permanent signs, and landscaping. . Next week work will continue on the landscaping.
- March 15, 2022 - On Wednesday, March 16th, starting at 9:00 AM the signal at Smokey Point Blvd and 174th Pl NE will be shut off to allow for the streetlights on 173rd St to be connected. Traffic will be police controlled while the connection is made. Please expect small delays to your travel time in this area.
- March 18, 2022 - This week work continued on 173rd St with the connection of all the street lights and other electrical work. Next week work will consist of landscaping, the installation of a guard rail on the north side at 40th Ave, and installation of the banner arms and receptacles on the street light poles. The roadway is estimated to open on Friday, March 25th.
- April 22, 2022 - The City’s contractor will be returning to 173rd Ave Tuesday, April 26th to Monday, May 2nd to finish the planting and landscaping in the project area. This work will require periodic lane closure of the roadway and trail during construction hours of 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM to accommodate planting activities and for the safety of the workers, flaggers will be present during lane closures. Please expect delays when traveling on 173rd St and plan accordingly, or use alternative routes during these days.