- City Projects
- Public Works Projects
- Completed Projects
- SR 530/Smokey Pt Blvd Temporary Signal Replacement
SR 530/Smokey Pt Blvd Temporary Signal Replacement
In the fall of 2019 the City of Arlington placed a temporary traffic signal at the intersection of SR-530 and Smokey Point Boulevard. The city will now be replacing the temporary signal system with a wood pole span wire signal. This span wire signal system will remain as the City continues to work with WSDOT and stakeholders on the long-term solution of the installation of a roundabout. The City is looking to construct the roundabout once funding is secured for the project.
- Improve mobility
- Increase safety
- Relieve congestion
Project Cost and Funding
- Engineer’s estimate: $250,000
- Funding by City of Arlington
- Transportation Improvement Fund
- Designed by SCJ Alliance
- Construction anticipated winter 2020/2021
Coordination with Local Businesses
The City’s contractor will coordinate with local Island Crossing businesses and with the community prior to installing the wood-pole span wire signal. Regular schedule updates will be provided by the City to keep local businesses and the community apprised of progress on the project, and potential impacts.
If you have questions or concerns on this project, please contact the City Project Hotline at 360-403-3544 or email@example.com.
- September 10, 2020 - Project Bid Opening
- September 21,2020 - Bid awarded to Service Electric Co.
- January 19, 2021 - Project start date
- January 19 - The contractors schedule has changed for this week. They will be doing shoulder work from 8am to 4pm. This will not affect traffic flow. However, please be cautious when traveling in the area.
- January 28 - Next week the contractor will be moving from night work to day work. They will be working from 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday on the shoulders. The work being done should not affect traffic flow, but please be cautious if you are traveling in the project area.
- February 11 - Starting tomorrow the project will be suspended while WSDOT performs testing. Work is scheduled to resume the beginning of March.
- March 2 - Due to delays in equipment delivery, the project will continue to be suspended for an additional few weeks. The City will keep you posed as to when the project will resume. If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-403-3544.
- March 19 - Starting Monday, March 22nd, the City’s contractor will resume work at the SR-530/Smokey Point Blvd intersection. During this week Service Electric will install the signal cabinet, test and turn on the new signals, remove the trailer mounted signals, and install curbing. The work will occur during the night hours of 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM Monday through Friday to minimize any traffic impacts. Final striping is, currently planned for mid- April.
- March 22 - The contractors schedule has changed. Work will resume tomorrow during the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM with no traffic control in place. On Wednesday, work will occur during the day and continue into the night. Traffic control will be in place with lane shifts during the night hours of 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM. Please be cautious when driving in the area.
- March 22 - There is a minor change to the schedule tomorrow. In addition to working during the day, Service Electric will come back from 9:00 PM to approximately 11:00 PM to install a splice box. This work will require a lane shift to the east bound traffic while they do the install.
- April 1 - Tonight, a Contractor will be changing out a sign on the new span wire signal system at the intersection of Smokey Point Blvd and SR-530. This work will start at 9:00 PM and last approximately 1.5 hours. During this time flagger-controlled lane shifts will occur to allow for access to the sign. Please be cautious when driving in this area.
- April 19- Wednesday the contractor will return to do the final striping at the Smokey Point Blvd / SR 530 signal. This work will occur from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM and will require lane shifts. Please be cautious when driving in this area.
- April 27 - Tomorrow morning starting at 8:00 AM, the City’s contractor will begin the installation of the curb on the southwest corner of the intersection. This work will require the closure of the south side shoulder and will occur during the construction hours of 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM.