Code Enforcement Process

Report a Concern

Action on a specific violation may be initiated by a citizen complaint to the City or by observation of a life/safety violation by a city employee. The owner and/or party in control of the property on which a violation occurs will be notified of the violation and first be given an opportunity to effect the necessary remedy through Voluntary Compliance. Failure to correct the violation within the specified time period may result in the City abating the violation.

  1. Complaint is received
  2. Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) conducts initial investigation and determines whether or not there is a violation of the Arlington Municipal Code or other applicable regulation.
  3. CEO notifies the property owner/tenant that a violation exists and the appropriate action required to correct the violation; this is done through a Voluntary Compliance Agreement (VCA).
  4. CEO notifies the complainant of action taken (if any)
  5. If the violation is not corrected within the terms of the VCA, a Notice of Violation and Order to Correct is issued. If the violation is still not corrected, fines of up to $ 500 per offense/per day may be assessed until the violation is corrected.
  6. An appeal may be requested within 10 days of issuance
  7. Should the violation still fail to be corrected, the City may abate the violation and pursue legal action to recoup the costs incurred.

During the enforcement process the City makes every effort to work with the owner/tenant who is in violation to establish a successful compliance plan. The goal of the Code Enforcement program is to achieve voluntary compliance with the effected code. When compliance has been met to the satisfaction of the law, the case is closed.

Tips To Resolve A Nuisance

  • Have you discussed this issue with your neighbor in a friendly, rational manner asking for their cooperation in resolving the nuisance? We suggest that if you're comfortable in doing so, you attempt this approach first. Many times people appreciate their neighbors contacting them and will correct the problem.
  • Use your own best judgment when dealing with your neighbors, and never interact with someone when either party is angry or out of control.
  • Many times a complaint is not a code violation and cannot be resolved by intervention from the City. We strongly suggest that you contact the Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish County should the conflict continue.