STRONGER TOGETHER EVENT: BUILDING UNITY THROUGH COMMUNITY 2023 Event
Saturday, September 23, 10:00am - 2:45pm, Legion Park, 114 N Olympic Ave. Downtown Arlington
The Stronger Together community event is September 23, 2023. Stronger Together aims at building unity through community. This event focuses on community education and exploration through activities focused on culture, diversity, and equity. This is the fifth year the Stronger Together committee has planned an event for the community.
Entertainment and Presentation Schedule
- 10:00 a.m. Opening Ceremony- Welcome & Land Acknowledgement, Stillaguamish Drum Song with Ray Rehaume
- 10:00- 10:45 a.m. Lakewood Jazz Band
- 11:00 - 11:30 a.m. Keynote Speaker, Brady Black
- Noon - 12:30 p.m. Arlington Flight choir
- 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. Mariachi Fiesta Mexicana Music on stage
- 2:00 - 2:45 p.m. Stillaguamish Pow Wow Dancers and Closing with Ray Rehaume
- Equity Booth
- Stillaguamish Tribe Weaving Demo
- Art Around the World Display
- Book Mobile
- Food Trucks
- Farmers Market
- Stilly Valley Health Connections Booth
- People of our Communities Display
- Face Painting
- Stillaguamish Valley Museum Booth
- Arlington Pride Booth
- Village Community Services Booth
- Event Gift Bags
- Event Passport Walk
- Stilly Valley Senior Center Booth
- Arlington & Lakewood & Darrington Libraries
- The Arc of Snohomish County Booth
- Arlington Community Resource Center Booth
- Center for Justice Social Work Booth
Brady Black speaks on what art can do in a conflict zone, learn how Brady’s art propelled a revolution in Lebanon. Brady will be leading a community mural in Arlington this fall.
Brady Black is an artist focused primarily on large format public art and “Community Murals” with a emphasis on bringing attention to marginalized communities. Brady engages with these communities and collaboratively creates public works that empower the participants to express themselves and see their work on large public spaces.
Brady began his work on the streets of Beirut, Lebanon where he saw the power of art to transform spaces and unite communities by designing and facilitating the creation of “Community Murals”.
Stronger Together Event Committee:
Event Presented by: City of Arlington, Arlington Public Schools and Sno-Isle Libraries.
Support provided by Stronger Together Planning Committee:
Stillaguamish Tribe, Arlington Public Schools, Lakewood School District, Darrington School District, City of Arlington, Town of Darrington, Sno-Isle Libraries, Stilly Valley Health Connections, Downtown Arlington Business Association, Stillaguamish Valley Genealogical Society, Stillaguamish Tribe, Sauk-Suiattle Tribe, Stillaguamish Valley Pioneers, Voices of the Village, Arlington Pride, Stilly Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Director of Equity and Student Well-Being
Arlington Public Schools
Community Engagement Director
City of Arlington
Explore on your own online
American Indian Perspectives on Thanksgiving For grades 4-8. Presented by National Museum of the American Indian https://s.si.edu/315uLud
Pacific NW History & Culture- Why do the foods we eat matter? For grades 9-12. Presented by National Museum of the American Indian https://s.si.edu/2Q2LjNb
Art Exhibit- Abstractions of Black Citizenship http://abstractions.black/studio/
Art Exhibit- Reimagining the Future through the Past
“Engaging with forms of their ancestors is one way artists from marginalized communities find empowerment and envision new trajectories,” Tara Tamaribuchi https://bit.ly/349Bsxo
Recommended Reads for Stronger Together From Sno-Isle Libraries, for all ages. https://bit.ly/2Q2rPs4
Ellis Island Virtual Tour This interactive virtual tour is a combination of images and historical information. Created by the Heritage Documentation Programs. https://www.nps.gov/hdp/exhibits/ellis/Ellis_Index.html